Sunday, 20 January 2013

A month of health: Breakfast ideas

Image from here
I figure if we are trying to improve our health, we need to start with the first meal of the day: breakfast.We all know that breakfast is the most important meal. Those of us who eat breakfast are fueling ourselves for the day, giving ourselves energy, improving our concentration and setting ourselves up for better eating patterns for the day. But breakfast can be the source of enormous frustration in our household. We rarely have all six of us eating the same thing.

I am a breakfast eater and have been most of my life.  It is the one meal that I don't seek variety and samey-samey is absolutely fine for me. I don't think my brain is too discerning in the morning. During the week you will find me eating a bowl of muesli but I welcome a fry-up or some pancakes at one day of the weekend (especially when prepared by someone else).

The Geege struggles with breakfast but manages to stomach something most mornings. Often just a banana and a coffee, or three.

Dew Drop would eat breakfast foods at every meal if he could. He is the Hobbit of the family who frequently has second breakfasts. He likes all types of cereals, fruit and yoghurt and toast.

The Minx is hit and miss, one day to the next, with no rhyme or reason. Yesterday she ate a bowl of weetbix with sultanas, today she had two mouthfuls and declared she hated it. We take it one day at a time with our precious.

Doo Dah likes variety with his breakfasts but will happily eat something on most days. He makes requests on different days for cereal, toast, eggs, pancakes or a smoothie. We usually give him what he asks for.

Nugget, well he is the fussy fuss pot of the family and breakfast is no exception. He will eat toast, but he would live on bread alone if we would let him. He also likes Nutrigrain, but I only let him have it on holidays.

Needless to say, I am always on the look out for quick and healthy breakfast ideas (that are not cereal) that will meet the needs of all the family. I am accruing a lovely list of options we have been trying out and I want to share with you:


  • Muesli muffins (Nugget still won't eat these, but the other kids love them)
  • Tomato on wholegrain toast, even better with a bit of cottage cheese spread on there too
  • French toast
  • Egg soldiers
  • Fruit smoothies
  • Wholewheat banana bread
  • Baked beans on toast
  • Fruit salad and yoghurt
  • Ham and egg cups - Put a slice of ham into a muffin tray and top it with an egg. Bake until firm. Eat hot or cold.
  • Porridge (no success with any of the kids liking oats, but I love it!)
What do you eat for breakfast?

6 comments:

Coal Valley View said...

We all have either weetbix or porridge for breakfast on a week day. Sometimes toast as well. They can have other cereals very occasionally. Pancakes and bacon & eggs etc on weekends. That's as varied and riveting as it gets down here :-) All your options are great and my kids would be in heaven if they got that variety x

Charis Sharpe said...

I'm terrible at breakfast.. I usually grab a croissant to eat at my desk!

ANB said...

Cheese on toast followed by fruit is the theme of the month around here. We put the bread in the toaster then melt cheese in the microwave. E is not big on milk so I am happy to indulge her in any breakfast that involves dairy.

Shari said...

I'm stuck on wholegrain cheese and tomato toasted sandwiches or banana milkshakes (made with banana, soy milk, soy yoghurt and honey). Smoothies are a fun and healthy way to start the day. Shari from www.goodfoodweek.blogspot.com

Seana said...

I like all sorts of breakfasts, but leftover veggie curry is a firm fave... also Christmas pudding!

My twinnies ASKED for porridge this morning, I nearly fainted. They ate it too.

Raspberry smoothies have been a fave.

Love giving the big boys sausages and beans, I usually buy the organic ones and cook heaps to eat for dinner and then breakfast too.

My sister did a post on this topic called The Better Breakfast Brigade at http://www.mairistones.co.uk/explore-posts/mecfs/rants-and-raves/better-breakfast-brigade/

Taylor said...

What a great post! I was never a breakfast eater growing up or in college. It wasn’t until I started trying to get healthy after graduation that I kept reading how good breakfast is for you! I did exactly as you said – starting incorporating it slowly and then adding more. And now, I literally cannot survive without breakfast!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...